1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of water
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
1/3 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
(Food colouring is optional)
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Add the food colouring if choosing to use this.
- Place the saucepan on a moderate heat and mix constantly until all the wetness has gone and the mixture is the consistency of mashed potato.
- Remove from the heat and stir into a ball.
- Tip out mixture onto a hard surface and knead until well formed. (It will still be hot so take care not to burn your hands).
- The playdough is then ready to use. Keep in a sealed container when not being used to avoid it drying out. It doesn’t need to be kept in the fridge.